A true "Life-Simulator"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A true "Life-Simulator"

From the looks of the game so far, it looks like it will stay true to the meaning of the key word in it's title "Life." I'm expecting the game to be centered around pure RP, and building a suitable life for the character you create.

So may I offer a few suggestions:

1. Colosseum for Rome/Beast Pit for Barbarians - Most people are used to fighting endlessly in games like this. So why not have them fight for the amusement of others? A Colosseum would be a great way to go about this. They can do PvP, PvE, and even PvPvE! A true free-for-all! Spectators can place bets as some weird "Get rich quick by luck" scheme. This is depending on how balanced the fights can be. We don't want the same person winning every time do we? How about setting a limit on how many times a person can fight a day? This way others don't get discourages because someone too powerful is winning all the matches?

2. Jobs - What's a city without jobs to sustain the economy? Librarians, meat vendors, fruit vendors, mill workers, sea traders, farmers, blacksmiths, even street cleaners. Make Rome the hustle-and-bustle place that it was meant to be! Everyone will always have something to do! I'm sure even the Barbarians will have something to do. Hunting? Making furs? Cooks? Why not have a High Council/Emperor to put taxes on them so they have even more of a reason to work?

3. Player-Run Justice System - Who doesn't like judging people with no moral consequence? Have those who are guilty be forced to work in the salt mines or forced to fight beasts 3x their strength..... Maybe even have them rot in jail for an hour. XD This brings up the need for guards if that is even a possibility; Another thing to do!

4. Life Needs - Which brings me to my final point. Make it a true RP experience. A new life! Religion, Marriage, A place of our own (depending on player cap.) jobs that need other jobs to work, (meat vendors need slaughterhouses, fruit vendors need fruit farms, fish vendors need fisherman, ect) pets, society higher and lower class (or is that too much?) Anyway, a true "Life of Rome."

Just some food for thought.

Bonus Idea: Player Introduction forum does not work. (It says channel with no valid route or something.) How about fixing that too?
    - Life of Rome Community Manager
    - Head of Family Aulus: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/LORAulus / https://forums.lifeofrome.com/forum/...ly-recruitment
    - Fortes Fortuna Iuvat!

Originally posted by Hidden-Winter View Post
    From the looks of the game so far, it looks like it will stay true to the meaning of the key word in it's title "Life." I'm expecting the game to be centered around pure RP, and building a suitable life for the character you create.

1. Colosseum for Rome/Beast Pit for Barbarians - Most people are used to fighting endlessly in games like this. So why not have them fight for the amusement of others? A Colosseum would be a great way to go about this. They can do PvP, PvE, and even PvPvE! A true free-for-all! Spectators can place bets as some weird "Get rich quick by luck" scheme. This is depending on how balanced the fights can be. We don't want the same person winning every time do we? How about setting a limit on how many times a person can fight a day? This way others don't get discourages because someone too powerful is winning all the matches?

2. Jobs - What's a city without jobs to sustain the economy? Librarians, meat vendors, fruit vendors, mill workers, sea traders, farmers, blacksmiths, even street cleaners. Make Rome the hustle-and-bustle place that it was meant to be! Everyone will always have something to do! I'm sure even the Barbarians will have something to do. Hunting? Making furs? Cooks? Why not have a High Council/Emperor to put taxes on them so they have even more of a reason to work?

3. Player-Run Justice System - Who doesn't like judging people with no moral consequence? Have those who are guilty be forced to work in the salt mines or forced to fight beasts 3x their strength..... Maybe even have them rot in jail for an hour. XD This brings up the need for guards if that is even a possibility; Another thing to do!

4. Life Needs - Which brings me to my final point. Make it a true RP experience. A new life! Religion, Marriage, A place of our own (depending on player cap.) jobs that need other jobs to work, (meat vendors need slaughterhouses, fruit vendors need fruit farms, fish vendors need fisherman, ect) pets, society higher and lower class (or is that too much?) Anyway, a true "Life of Rome."

Bonus Idea: Player Introduction forum does not work. (It says channel with no valid route or something.) How about fixing that too?

AMEN BROTHER!!!! AMEN
    exactly what i whas thinking, good pointers and i agree with all ur suggestions,
    maybe a bit hard to make or control all of that but who knows, like u said enough food for thoughts

.... maybe u and i should make a game ( joking off corse )

Comment

looks so cool, would be great to let the players decide who rots in jail and for like jobs that can be done, and to marry some people would be cool too, but i really like the colosseum, I for one would love to fight in it

Comment

It would be cool to have a Roman Life Simulator. It would be cool where you can play both genders. Where you can play a Roman noblewomen as well as a Roman Senator, Roman General, Gladiator and more. You can work your way up to being a Roman Emperor or Roman Empress. Of course you would have to get rid of your rivals.
        Worlds I would like to see. This is the late Roman Empire so there would be a Eastern Roman Empire and Western Roman Empire. In the East you would have Constantinople, Greece, Egypt. In the West have Rome, Gaul, Britain, Germany
        Games I would like to see would be Gladiator Games and Chariot Races. .

Comment

Warfare would be cool. Where it would be like Rome Total War II and Attilla were you build an army and a fleet and have battles. You can lay siege to rival cities. Execute traitors and burn cities to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Hidden-Winter View Post

Agree with all of them, though I would guess that most of these would naturally exist in the game anyway. Jobs will be there if the skills/crafting are there, and I would HOPE there's a coliseum or amphitheatre somewhere in the game :P. I'm not sure how much building the players will be able to do exactly, but I think having player-built arenas would be a popular idea. Life needs are a good idea to promote RP, but having too much realism in games tends to make some players feel restrictive.

The idea of a player-run justice system sounds really interesting though. There would definitely be some corruption, favoritism, and incompetence, but there was plenty of that in the ancient Roman justice system. Praetors were elected officials, not career judges, so no doubt many of them performed poorly. Since there will be a player Senate and player Consuls, maybe Praetors could be included (elected or not) and hold trials for minor, in-game crimes like stealing, violence, etc.

Comment

It would be cool if it was like the Sims 3, but in the Roman period. Where you could play both genders. Both male and female. That way you could have marriages and families. As playing a female character you could play a Roman Noblewoman, a Roman slave girl, a Barbarian Shield Maiden and many others. Your female character could run the household. You also would need to have jobs and schools for your characters You could choose what outfits your character uses. .

Comment

Agree!
                Thx god the jobs are already in their minds (look at the subsection "About" in the main site).
                I would really like the Arena with Gladiators. with bets, cheat and all sort of things.
                I think that for maintain some order in all these things, developers must be in game as GM... if someone is too rich cause it's a fearsome boss of some gang, the GMs must order, in some way, to the soldiers to bring him in jail for fraud, all his goods retired and transformed in coins that will refill the treasure of rome or the economy... an injection of liquidity. Something like that.

Comment

You hit it right on the money. I would much rather have an active, dedicated community of 500 then a mingey, lacking-RP community of 5000.

Comment

Originally posted by sithemperor79 View Post
                    It would be cool if it was like the Sims 3, but in the Roman period. Where you could play both genders. Both male and female. That way you could have marriages and families. As playing a female character you could play a Roman Noblewoman, a Roman slave girl, a Barbarian Shield Maiden and many others. Your female character could run the household. You also would need to have jobs and schools for your characters You could choose what outfits your character uses. .

The idea of playing your own family is interesting or the other route is bend the gender norms a bit and allow most occupations be open to all genders. Otherwise most female characters would be left in a support role. Female Legionaires might be a big stretch but Gladiators could be a possibility, especially exotic imports from outside the Empire. Likewise male Vestal Virgins would be rather silly but not male priests of Juno or Baccaus although most historically were female. Speaking of religion is the game going to stick with the State Pantheon or other fringe religions going to come into play, Such as Mythras or Elagabol.

Comment

A Gladiatrix. The Romans constantly looked for novelties to display in their gladiatorial games. Female Gladiators provided an unusual distraction from the male gladiators. There is various evidence that prove that women fought in the arenas as Female Gladiators. Most gladiators were recruited from prisoners of war and slaves but there is startling evidence via Roman documentation that wealthy Roman women also fought in the arena as female gladiators.

Comment

Quite a bit of recent scholarship is shedding the light on the diversity that composed the gladiator ranks. It seems it also was a method for free Romans especially of the Plebeian class to pay off debts. Also more and more evidence shows that fighting to the death was the rarity not the norm. That is not to say fatalities were rare.but most were combat kills or died of wounds not the staged executions at the end of the fight. Well public executions masked as games of course are the exception to the previous statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylviekat View Post
                          Quite a bit of recent scholarship is shedding the light on the diversity that composed the gladiator ranks. It seems it also was a method for free Romans especially of the Plebeian class to pay off debts. Also more and more evidence shows that fighting to the death was the rarity not the norm. That is not to say fatalities were rare.but most were combat kills or died of wounds not the staged executions at the end of the fight. Well public executions masked as games of course are the exception to the previous statement.
                          Romans loved the bread and games, so I imagine a lot was done in the coliseum that we don't know about. You've got to keep the people entertained by almost any means and more than often stories were told in the battle too.

Comment

Hi all just would like to add my ideas on this topic, I think it would be great if you could role play as a different class as a roman. For example People could choose your typical path of a roman soldier but I think it would be good to go down the path of political or business sense where these classes could gain power through wealth and or intelligence, ranks and with their wealth or manipulation they could hire mercenaries in the game to do their deeds or be part of a family where each class need each other to carry out certain tasks. I know it can be complex but to have the freedom and to live a life as a roman in a open world there needs to be freedom of decision making which effects outcomes.
                            I think it would be cool if some how the families had to work on becoming the leaders of rome and have a list of outcomes they need to achieve and hold their position while other families try to reverse their workings.
                            This is just the tip of the iceberg of my ideas and I know its a lot of work I just think there is a lot more to rome than just killing people with swords it's living the roman life on the streets.
                            All i know is if the time was spent to get this right anyone who is interested in rome will play this but I am sure you know this.

Comment

A system where if you die, you lose everything. You'll need to start back off as a servant and work your way back up into the army/politics

Comment

Working...
                              X