• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaves

Hi.

I saw this painting:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...me%2C_1888.jpg

Well, my suggestions:
    • The roman citizen (Player) sufficiently rich would have option of buy slaves.
    • The economic cost in order to obtain one slave would be determined primarily according to:

value of the slave (skills, origin/background/lineage, health, age, gender,...)
    • Limit of slaves. The player can´t be have a lot of slaves at the same time. If the player want other slaves, first must get rid of his previous slave(s) *

* by means of this choices, for example:

1) contact with slaves-dealer and negociate in order to sell the slave.
    2) kill the previous slave(s) .

----------------------------------------------------

I don´t know, something like that.
    • The slaves of players can get sick from time to time, and the player must choice if take measures in order to help (buy the best medicines, for example) or how many get involved.
    • The relation of player and slaves can be transformed. Interactions (hit, torture, insult in dialogues with the NPC slaves, or help, give them better tunics or even recompensate his loyalty with some, I don´t know) are important . This relation roman-slave can generate little bonus ** and traits to player (cruel or merciful player, as much to one as to the other, but the traits wouldn´t be similar)

** if you buy a slave that can fight and (if he trust totally in you) training you in special art of his tribe, the player can up one point in some skill/talent (not attribute, I said SKILL).
    If you buy a female slave that was a druid in his past, or explorer in outposts, maybe his knowdledge of herbs, or the forest, would be useful to the player.

Secondary missions related with slaves. Not all slaves. Only one or two in the world in-game. Something like the slave most expensive inside the game. All players with this special slave would activate quests about the history/background of that NPC. No companion, the slave not can be managed like the typical companion.

Bye.
    -CHORUS: Who then is the helmsman of Ananke (Necessity)?
    -PROMETHEUS: The three-shaped (trimorphoi) Moirai (Fates) and mindful (mnêmones) Erinyes (Furies).
    -CHORUS:Can it be that Zeus has less power than they do?
    -PROMETHEUS: Yes, in that even he cannot escape what is foretold.

Yea, this would be hard to do I think, and even if it could be done, slavery while was a major thing back then might not be the best to mimic, i don't know enough about the game to even guess if this could even be applicable

Comment

Hi, Maltier, how are you?

Without doubt would be hard, totally agree. And it´s possible [very possible! :P] that my suggestions not work for the game, but my intention was some like brainstorming in slavery aspect.

Anyway I just wrote the post after find the picture of those captives kids and the roman soldier give them fruit. I don´t know if the ideas can be useful to devs. , or totally useless , haha, but feedback/opinion is one of the things what they asked for the game.

See you!
      Last edited by Marcus Sergius; 07-15-2015, 12:22 AM. Reason: Correct grammar mistake. My hallmark...
      -CHORUS: Who then is the helmsman of Ananke (Necessity)?
      -PROMETHEUS: The three-shaped (trimorphoi) Moirai (Fates) and mindful (mnêmones) Erinyes (Furies).
      -CHORUS:Can it be that Zeus has less power than they do?
      -PROMETHEUS: Yes, in that even he cannot escape what is foretold.

Comment

Pretty cool idea. I don't think it'd be a proper Roman-themed game if it didn't have slaves. :P

I could definitely see slaves being used as bodyguards (defending the player and their property), servants around the house, and workers if the player owns a farm or maybe even a mine. I could see how someone could argue that too many NPC slaves could make the player overpowered, but if a limit is placed (like you suggested) I think that could be avoided.

Comment

I agree that NPC slaves are a must, much of the roman economy was built on slaves.
          Perhaps some kind of limit based on some kind of rank or position which would have been a rough reflection of what was normal. Those who were rich had more slaves than those who weren't. Also those riches elevated their status in society. One would assume that a senator would have more slaves than a simple baker or any other citizen of lower status. This would avoid the OP player that Marino was talking about.
          A slave trader would be an interesting mechanic, eg. upon losing your position as a senator you were no longer able to maintain your current level of slaves, you must sell some of them within a certian time or have them forfiet without any kind of compenation. This could create a market for slaves as long as they had different skills, eg miner, farmer, guard etc. Then there would be a genuine need to buy and sell depending on your current needs. The prices would then be determined by the market and different types would have different prices. It could then be made even more complex if the slaves had different level of skill also. If the trader was a player then they would have the slave cap lifted, however they cannot be used at all, they would merely be a commodity like coin.
          I think something like this would be interesting and would provide some people enjoyment as an alternative to the traditional roles that people choose for their characters.

Jaizaa

Comment

I would like a way to capture slaves from combat. Like if I did not kill them but knocked them out I should get a NPC slave that I can sell to the slave markets or keep them for myself. That's how they got a lot of their slaves back then.

Comment

A game that has inspired this game had NPC slaves, in which you could hire slaves to add resources to a building project, or speed up the time it would take to craft an item. I am sure the devs here would have considered that and have plans to implement this.

Comment

If the character and player behind the character gave consent to make their character into a slave then I wouldn't see it as an issue. Now, if we want to have NPC slaves that is an interesting concept too but needless to say slaves made a good economy for the Roman Empire. To be honest, I've seen people roleplay slaves and other things of that nature and end up molding a very unique character who either manages to get out of the situation or work towards escape or oppression against their owners. NPC or not, it did happen.

Comment

BUMP slavery definitely needs to be in the game, gladiator arena, colosseum, huge part of the economy

Comment

If player characters could be slaves, I'd be the first to sign up. Just sayin.

Comment

it could raise quite a bit of controversy because romans often used their house slaves as sex slaves also so rape would become a feature.

Comment

Working...
                      X